Monday, 5 June 2017
There’s nothing better than taking a break from your 9-5 job, parental duties, or even just your daily obligations by taking a much-needed vacation; but as we all can attest, vacations often derail our health and fitness goals by providing us with an excuse to, well, make excuses and slack off. These days, there’s no reason why your vacation can’t be both an escape AND an opportunity to take the time to remain consistent with your fitness goals. Here are 4 tips on how you can make the most of your well-deserved time away.
Travel With Active Friends
They key to staying active while on a trip is to travel with people who share the same intention of mixing fitness and fun. Invite friends who prefer to walk everywhere rather than take public transportation or someone who would be up for an adventurous day hike. Like-minded travel buddies will keep you motivated and on-track with your health and fitness routine and ultimately help you enjoy your trip even more!
Consider the Amenities
Many modern-day hotels and resorts provide a wide variety of fitness-related amenities outside of their regular gym or fitness center. Before you book your accommodations, check to see if the hotel offers classes like yoga, cycling or Zumba or if they have on-site tennis courts, golf courses or other active outdoor activities. Having these types of easily accessible amenities will make the decision to get out and be active a no-brainer!
Work Out Early
If you’re used to waking up early and working out before your day starts then this won’t be an issue. If you’re not, then the morning workout will be just what you need in order to make sure you’re getting your daily dose of fitness in. When we’re on vacation, the days tend to get away from us; we have every intention of working out later in the day and then all of a sudden it’s time to go to bed. Avoid this scenario by making your mornings about taking care of yourself and getting the exercise you need to power you through your day.
Find a Healthy Balance
We get it. Vacations are meant to be relaxing. You’re supposed to allow yourself to sleep in, enjoy a cocktail by the pool and explore the new surroundings. True vacations are about giving your body what it needs so don’t get down on yourself if you skip a day of working out. While fitness is important, wellness is just as imperative to a healthy and happy life.
What are some of your favorite activities to do while on vacation! Share them with us on our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/iGalenGlobal
Tuesday, 16 May 2017
Persistent inflammation has been linked to major diseases like diabetes, heart disease, depression, and even cancer. Refined carbohydrates, sweetened beverages, and red meat are some common culprits that contribute to inflammation and should be limited in one’s diet as much as possible but did you know that there are foods that have anti-inflammatory effects as well? Here are 6 foods to add to your diet to combat inflammation.
The lycopene found in tomato skin is an antioxidant that protects your brain and fights depression-causing inflammation. Even if you’re not a fan of raw tomatoes, you can still get all the benefits from processed versions. Raw or saucy, you win!
On top of the weight loss benefits and reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, olive oil has a significant impact on reducing inflammation. It helps to reduce joint cartilage damage and works similarly to ibuprofen by preventing the production of inflammatory enzymes.
Green Leafy Vegetables
Greens that are rich in vitamins like spinach, brussel sprouts and kale are also packed with carotenoids, all of which help the body combat inflammation. Additionally, many of these veggies help boost metabolism, provide antioxidants, and significantly decrease the risk of cancer and chronic diseases.
On top of the antioxidants and vitamins, nuts contain ALA which are anti-inflammatory omega-3s. Walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts are the best sources of ALA, antioxidants, and oleic acid which helps to boost your immune system.
Fatty fish is full of anti-inflammatory omega-3s. Wild salmon, in particular, gives you the fatty acids EPA and DHA which combat excess inflammation by enhancing your muscles' ability to use carbs for energy, burn fat, and boosts your metabolism.
Anthocyanin is what make blueberries so effective at reducing inflammation by turning off immune and inflammatory genes. These tasty, antioxidant- filled snacks are also rich in vitamin C which provide and anti-inflammatory response by decreasing free radicals.
In sum, there are a variety of healthy, anti-inflammatory foods that you can incorporate into your diet. Stay tuned for an extended list and more helpful information on how you can fight inflammation by following us on Facebook!
Friday, 12 May 2017
The harmful effects of sugar go way beyond empty calories. Numerous studies have connected sugar intake with premature aging, heart disease, obesity and even cancer. It seems simple enough to say, “Ok, I’ll quit sugar” but when it comes down to it, the cravings are often too difficult to endure long term. We’ve put together a short list of how you can fight the sugar monster and kick the sugar habit for good!
Avoid Processed Foods. Sugar consumption activates the part of your brain that produces dopamine, the pleasure neurotransmitter. When we stop eating sugar, we feel a bit a down because we are quite literally coming off of a sugar high. Avoiding processed foods will help you beat the addiction to sugar and ultimately naturally restore your dopamine levels.
Boost Serotonin. This happiness hormone can be increased by getting good sleep, physical activity, and maintaining a balanced and healthy diet. More serotonin means a diminished sugar craving!
Drink Plenty of Water. Sometimes when you’re craving sugar your body is actually dehydrated. Next time your sweet tooth hits, try drinking 8 oz of water instead. You’ll be amazed at how effective this is!
Keep Your Blood Sugar Stable. Eat small meals throughout the day instead of larger portions 2-3 times a day to avoid dips in blood sugar. This will keep you satisfied, help produce more serotonin, and help you sleep better at night.
Eat Plenty of Greens. Greens are loaded with full-feeling fiber keeping you satisfied throughout the day. Additionally, they are loaded with vitamins that will help to boost your energy and reduce sugar cravings.
If you’re having trouble fighting your sugar cravings, try these simple tips and let us know what you think! And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook for more updates!
Thursday, 4 May 2017
Upon taking inventory of my life, I had checked all of the boxes. I went to college, bought a house, made great money at a notable company… but I was still unhappy. Every Monday was just a desperate race to the weekend and at the age of 35, I decided that I simply did not want to live like that any longer. So, instead of taking everyone’s advice to grin and bear it, I quit. Crazy as it seems, here’s why:
1. The sky was not the limit.
The glass ceiling is real and fitting in at work is directly correlated with how far up the ladder you go. I was good at what I did but it seemed that co-workers who were otherwise my equals had a clearer and less obstructed path to success. Was it because of their connections, educations, or backgrounds? Perhaps, and that’s alright, but I didn’t want my potential for success to be limited by factors outside of my control. Having met this conclusion, I knew I had to take charge of my professional destiny and take a leap of faith not only for myself but for my family.
2. I wanted to decide how much I made.
I made great money with my employer; enough that anyone else would likely be satisfied to continue doing the job. However, the work I was doing was generating an exponentially larger amount for the company than what I was being paid. The more I thought about it, the less I wanted someone to decide how much I was worth while reaping the benefits of my hard work and effort. It was time to take back the power and make that decision for myself because I know I'm worth so much more and my dreams deserve to come true.
3. I wanted financial security.
I don’t like to worry about money and I bet you don’t either. It’s possible to build a comfortable savings as a salaried employee but it’s so much more appealing to have control over my income potential and thus the amount of wealth I can build. If I ventured out on my own and ran my own business, I would have control over finances, the amount I was able to save, and the wealth I could ultimately accumulate as the compound effect could turn into a residual, which to me is more secure than wondering if I was going to see my next pay cheque from my employer. It was a no-brainer.
4. I wanted to manage my own time.
Corporate jobs tend to treat you like you’re at their mercy for x-amount of hours of the day. You ask them for time off for appointments, vacations, sick days, etc. because those are the established rules which, in any case, is fine. I believe in working hard and getting the job done right… and then carrying on with the rest of my day. Owning my own business allows me to finally own my time. It’s liberating and guilt free.
5. I deserved more from life.
When it comes to a job, I think everyone should find what works for them and do it whether that be in corporate America or otherwise. For me, I choose to work for myself, free of limits on my
financial security, time, income, and success. At my corporate job, I was never going to reach my full potential working for someone else. Today, I have the power and control to make the most of my days working towards my personal and professional goals and enjoying a job well done. To me, this is the most important and valuable thing I can do for myself and my family.
I bet on myself, and at first, it felt like it was a risky move, but it has given me more freedom, growth, and happiness than I could have imagined. Today, I am a distributor for iGalen, with the world’s first patented and all-natural carb manager as our flagship product and the lineup of what's to come made it even more exciting! Whether I’m helping my downline grow their individual businesses and become leaders, or spreading the message about the incredible health benefits of iGalen products, I find so much satisfaction every day to be living a life where I am able to live a life free of limitations both personally and professionally just by people helping people. Being effective in other's lives is so rewarding!
Saturday, 21 January 2017
For decades, we have heard the same advice over and over again:
“To lose weight you need to eat less and move more.”
“A calorie is a calorie. Your calories out need to be greater than your calories in.”
“You need to avoid fat to be healthy.”
“Everything in moderation.”
Now, if it was all true, why is our country’s waistline still swollen? Why has the number of cases of diabetes increased along with the number of gym memberships? Why are children being diagnosed with type 2 adult onset diabetes? Has the advice our medical doctors been giving us since the 1970’s be wrong?
New studies are saying YES! All the years of avoiding fat like the plague has caused us to overlook the overconsumption of another deadly ingredient…. SUGAR!! When food producers began the “fat-free” movement, They needed to make their products more palatable and as you can see all over billboards and advertisements that sugar was the answer. From cane sugar to high fructose corn syrup, they began to drown their nutritionally degraded products in the sweet stuff. What we discovered was that it made food taste amazing! So what’s the problem? The problem is the way our body reacts to these refined sugars.
Our bodies see sugar as a toxin and it doesn’t metabolize it efficiently in such high doses. It has a unique physiological, metabolic and hormonal effect on our bodies. All this sugar in the body causes an inflammatory response. This chronic inflammation can lead to such health conditions as insulin resistance, obesity, diabetes, gout, irritable bowel syndrome, varicose veins, and the list goes on.
Emulin+ is The world’s 1st patented and natural carb manager. It contains a botanical mix called Emulin® that helps your body manage refined carbohydrates and sugars. Have questions? We have answers here.
Sunday, 27 November 2016
Sugar… it’s everywhere. Sugar is one of the most consumed products in the world. It’s become a daily staple, it’s practically a new food group. Given the plethora amount of diseases and health conditions sugar is linked to, it can be extremely difficult to kick the “sweet cocaine” habit. The commercial industry has trained us to not only prefer the taste of sugar, but also to crave it. So, what happens to our bodies can we give up sugar?
- Better dental health - sugar increases tooth decay and other dental problems. Kicking the sugar habit will help protect your gums and pearly whites.
- Better sleep - increased sugar consumption can cause sleep disturbances.
- Improved digestive health - sugar has been linked to constipation. Giving up sugar means you’ll be visiting the bathroom more frequently, which is a good thing!
- Healthier heart - lowering your sugar intake can also lower heart attack risks.
- Healthier skin - not only can acne be linked to sugar intake, but wrinkles are exacerbated by the sweet stuff. Most vulnerable to damage are collagen and elastin. These protein fibres are responsible for keeping your skin firm and elastic.
- More energy - that all too infamous 'sugar crash'. Not only will sugar have you flying high one moment, then in a tailspin the next moment, it decreases your body’s ability to keep energy stores high.
- Decrease cancer risk- sugar has been linked to feeding cancer cells. Allowing them to thrive and multiply.
- Slimmer waistline - increasing good fats, protein and complex carbohydrates can help get you off the roller coaster of fluctuating weight and on track to more stable weight.
- Protects the liver - excessive glucose and fructose is toxic and can lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver.
- Feeling more satisfied after eating - sugar consumption can cause resistance to leptin, the hormone that signals your brain that you're full.
Wednesday, 23 November 2016
iGalen’s Emulin+ is a revolutionary product of our time because it targets inflammation and that is why our focus and vision has been to live in a world of minimized and managed inflammation leading to improved health and prolonged useful life. A vision that truly encompasses the entire globe and has been catching the media’s attention. But the big question is, how does Emulin® work?
1st process: It inhibits, in your mouth, the change of starch to simple sugars, so once we slow that process down, there’s not as much free sugar to be absorbed into your body because your body cannot just absorb straight starch it has to be broken down into simple sugars.
2nd process: In the lining of your gut, your stomach and intestines, there are these little doorways that open up for the simple sugars to come into the bloodstream and we slow down that process down as well, not all of them, but some of those doors we close down. Once the sugar is inside the bloodstream it has to decide where to go and that’s one of the things that insulin does: is this sugar going into fat tissue, brain or muscle tissue? There is a component in Emulin® that helps guide this sugar to the muscle tissue and to the doorways of the brain and keeps it out of fat tissue. Not only does it block the sugar getting in the fat tissue but it also prevents the development of fat tissue.
3rd process: It causes glucose to leak back out of fat tissue, many people report losing weight.
If you try to lower your blood glucose just by reducing the amount of sugar that you take it’s not going to work by itself because your body wants to go right back where it was when you woke in the morning, so therefore if you don’t get enough sugar is your body makes new sugar and one of the components of Emulin® slows that process down called gluconeogenesis (GNG). That by way, is the same way Metformin works, the world’s most popular drug for type 2 diabetes.
Lastly, Emulin® causes an increase in insulin sensitivity. Type 2 diabetic have insulin in their body but it’s just not working, it’s not opening those doorways. Those doorways don’t show up, but when you take the component in Emulin® and in the presence of insulin causes those doorways to open up.
Tuesday, 15 November 2016
Are you feeling anxious or stressed out most of the time? Is your blood sugar level on the rise? Hormones such as cortisol and glucagon are secreted during times of stress which may cause blood sugar levels to go up and belly fat. That rush of glucose is no problem if your body’s insulin response mechanism is working properly; however, for people with metabolic issues such as diabetes, whose bodies can’t move glucose as efficiently into cells, it leads to a buildup of sugar in the bloodstream.
Studies have shown that relaxation can significantly reduce stress and lower blood sugar levels. Exercises and relaxation methods like yoga and mindfulness-based stress reduction can also correct insulin secretion problems in chronic diabetes. So have compiled 7 tips to help you relax - from meditation to music, these tips will give you more ways to calm your mind and reduce your A1c.
1. Meditate: Meditation is a way of calming the mind through techniques such as focusing and controlled breathing. This practice may reduce stress, lower your heart rate and relieve a variety of physical ailments. Recent research showed meditation can also help people with diabetes control their blood sugar levels. Check out some local classes or you can find many 'guided' meditations on the internet for beginners.
2. Yoga: Yoga is more than just holding a pose, it is learning to control your breathing and slow your heart rate down. There are many different type of yoga classes, however, all of them teach you to breath more deeply and to center yourself. Remembering that yoga it is not about how flexible you are but how focused you are. If you are not into holding poses then find a Yen class where you stay on the mat and doing poses that stretch out your body.
3. Quiet Time: We live in a world that is on the go and hiding in the bathroom with a magazine or book is not the same. Find time during your day to disconnect from your cell or laptop and the stimulation of noise. Pick a spot that is peaceful and just focus on being and if you can find somewhere to lay down and just close your eyes then even better. Even if you go for a walk by yourself for 10 - 30 minutes and look at things from far away and just focus on the miracle of life and of serenity without any electronics. This gives your brain a much-needed break.
4. Reading: There is nothing like escaping the real world with a good book and cool breeze, a blazing fireplace or at a cafe people watching. Whether it is science fiction or Oprah's latest book club selection, you deserve to use your imagination for a relaxing or exciting journey. Perhaps you want to read a magazine on the latest gadgets or fashion trend. Leaders are readers so being a sponge with something you have always wanted to learn more about could give you some excitement and something to look forward to.
5. Music and Aromatherapy: Thanks to technology and mobile music apps, we can travel the world with our favorite tunes or work out or clean to whatever genre we feel like. Notice how when you go the spa, the spa music and scent of spa triggers us to relax? You can find anything from smooth jazz to spa, baroque or classical remixes all have calming effects with healthful benefits. Keep the volume at a relaxing level and feel yourself start to relax. Aromatherapy has the ability to reduce anxiety, boost cognitive performance/energy, ease depression, speed up the healing process, eliminate headaches, induce sleep, strengthen the immune system, reduce pain, improve digestion, and increase circulation. Avoid relaxing music or scents that bring relaxation while your driving as you don't want to tune out on a busy highway.
6. Spend Time with Pets: The emotional connection with animal companions helps to decrease depression, stress, anger, anxiety. It can also lower your blood pressure, improve your immune system and possibly decrease your risk of heart attack and stroke. If you aren't into furry animal friends, then research shows people who spend their time watching fish tanks/aquariums enjoy the benefits of enhanced physical and mental well-being, improving your mood. And if you don't have a pet, your friend or neighbor would be happy for you to spend some time with their pet. All animals love to be loved by anyone and that is what will rub off on you - unconditional love.
7. Massage: If there is one complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) that improves the blood circulation and reduces the ill effects of diabetes such as hardening of the arteries it is massage therapy. Massage goes far beyond the feel good of the service and the temporary quietness of the experience; when you improve your bodies circulation, more oxygen and more nutrients are provided to the body cells and improves the utilization of insulin by the cells. Whether it's a 10-minute shoulder massage at a nail salon or an hour long Thai massage at the spa you will feel the difference in your mental and physical well-being. If you can hit up a massage then you can massage the joint in the middle of your thumb and index finger. This great to do if you are in a stressful environment to calm you down and gain some energy.
In order to keep balanced, one must take the time to relax and de-stress each and every day. The health benefits associated with regular relaxation are well-documented. There are many factors, however, stress has long been considered an important factor in Type 2 diabetes. It is only recently that research has demonstrated that stress may play a role in the onset of Type 2 diabetes in individuals predisposed to diabetes, and in blood glucose control in people with established diabetes. However, if you follow these simple stress management techniques and add Emulin+, it may have a significant impact on long-term blood glucose control and can constitute a useful tool in the management of diabetes.
Emulin+ is formulated to help you maintain lower blood sugar and can also help you to lose weight. It features Emulin® which is an all-natural phytonutrient blend that 'emulates insulin' by interrupting sugar metabolism in 7 ways.
Emulin® was discovered by Nobel Prize Nominee scientists after 10 years of rigorous testing and research. The proprietary blend of natural plant flavonoids has been awarded a US patent and has also been tested in two impressive clinical studies where it was shown to help lower blood sugar.
How it Works: Interrupting 7 Metabolic Pathways
Emulin+ works by impacting the 7 key metabolic pathways in the body through which the body processes sugar.
Pathway #1: Starch to Sugar Conversion - Emulin+ goes to work when you eat. It buffers the enzymes that break starches down into glucose, which means less sugar is released from food.
Pathway #2: Glucose Absorption - When food is digested in the upper GI (gastrointestinal tract) Emulin+ buffers the absorption of glucose so less sugar reaches the bloodstream.
Pathway #3: Glucose Tissue Uptake - Once sugar is in the blood, Emulin+ helps move it into tissues, such as muscles, where it provides energy and muscle growth.
Pathway #4: Fat Formation - Emulin+ acts as a “traffic cop” directing sugar away from fat stores and into muscle tissue. It signals to increases metabolism to help burn even more fat.
Pathway #5: Glucose Homeostasis - Emulin+ helps maintain a healthy balance of blood sugar so it doesn’t spike too high or dip too low.
Pathway #6: Insulin Release - Emulin+ encourages fast, healthy release of insulin when the body needs it. Insulin transports glucose across cell membranes and removes it from blood.
Tuesday, 8 November 2016
When you hear the word inflammation, what does that make you think of? Do you think of sore joints after a long run? Or maybe it makes you think of the aftermath of a bee sting. The point of injury that’s left hot, swollen and painful. Those are both examples of acute inflammation. Inflammation is your body’s first line of defense. Your body is attempting to remove the harmful irritants, damaged cells or pathogens. The five classic signs of acute inflammation are;
- Loss of function
Acute inflammation has several stages to protective stages in which to respond to injury. The first stage of inflammation is called irritation. Irritation is followed by suppuration (discharge of pus), then finally the granulation stage takes over which is the groundwork tiny, round masses of tissue, ie. a scab. Inflammation enables the body to prepare for the next stages of healing, immune response and tissue repair. This includes white blood cells being released to help engulf bacteria and debris. Without inflammation, infections could run rampant and quickly become lethal when an open wound is left unhealed. So why is inflammation getting such a bad reputation when it’s natural and necessary?
Let’s refer back to the bee sting scenario, however, on a larger scale. This is what chronic inflammation is like: when your body releases white blood cells to help heal damaged tissue, they release powerful chemicals. Chronic inflammation works the same way. For example, when you eat processed or refined foods, there are substances in that food that your body doesn’t know how to process. Your body sees these substances as a threat so it begins to release these white blood cells. Now there’s no real threat, but these white blood cells need to do their job so they begin to attack healthy tissue.
Over time, this can lead to a general state of inflammation that’s in your entire body. This attack from the inside is a silent war; and day after day, white blood cells release these chemicals which can damage tissues in your heart, your lungs, and even your kidneys. This ongoing damage to vital organs increases your risk of heart attacks, strokes and diabetes. Your level of chronic inflammation can be very telling of the future condition of your health. iGalen’s vision has been to live in a world of minimized and managed inflammation, leading to improved health and prolonged useful life and our flagship product Emulin+ balances your body and helps your body manage refined carbohydrates and minimize the effects of refined carbohydrates in your body.
Monday, 7 November 2016
The world is in a crisis - a carb crisis and the problem is growing rapidly on a global scale. Every day, billions of people are consuming large amounts of sugars and refined carbs, such as bread, noodles, rice and sugar. While carbs make you temporarily full, consuming in excess poses serious issues like weight gain, diabetes, heart disease and low energy.
Typical weight loss products are not only ineffective, but also require many daily steps to maintain weight loss, not to mention the high cost of these programs. Now, for the first time ever, a group of Nobel prize nominated scientists in Florida have developed and patented the world’s first all-natural carbohydrate manager containing a botanical mix called Emulin® that helps your body manage refined carbohydrates preventing diabetes, weight gain and high blood pressure.
Introducing Emulin+ by iGalen. iGalen is the world's leader in nano and liposome technology the only producer in sheep collagen and pioneer in carbohydrate metabolism. All of this is supported by research and development from Hollista Colltech which is an Australian publicly traded company. With millions invested in the infrastructure and backed by one of Asia’s most prominent investors Chan Heng Fai.
iGalen is poised to be one of the fastest growing companies in North America. Voted by the industry experts as the best opportunity in recent years, iGalen is a collection of the world’s top scientists and corporate leaders with a common denominator of innovating the next generation of products to revitalize you inside and out.
Whether you’re on the quest for a healthier life, financial freedom, or perhaps both, iGalen can empower you to achieve these goals. iGalen is now entering the Canadian and North America simultaneously. If you ever wanted to be in at the beginning before a company becomes a global name now’s your chance. Contact us to join our winning team today!